Saturday 5-10-08:
Wake up at the hotel, breakfast, better than the day before but still not so great…load up the busses and head to the Karnak Temple. I was excited for this because this was the only temple that I ever remembered reading about. About a 15 minute bus ride and we get there. After a week and a half of speed tourism, we were all pretty wiped out. It was great to be seeing these historic and ancient ruins, but it was another temple and I was just about at my max. The temple was massive, at least 4 times the size of any of the other temples we had seen. We walked around with our tour guide for about 30 minutes, and then we had a half hour to ourselves. We walked around and took a bunch of photos. The temple was amazing, there were massive stone pillars everywhere with hieroglyphics everywhere. The entrance was very cool too, there was a walkway lined on both sides with small sphinx’s…It was a beautiful day, and after about 20 minutes of walking around we just sat down and relaxed. The group met up, we loaded up the bus and headed back to the hotel. We got back around 11am, and had to move our stuff into a new room noon. Again because we had to check out of our old room due to the fact that we were catching the midnight train again at night. So everyone moved all their stuff into 4 rooms...I read my book for an hour, and then moved into the new room. Then I went and chilled by the pool and finished the book…finally. Took a dip for a bit and then dried off and went out to lunch in Luxor. Back to the hotel, blogged, photo edited for a few hours and even started my paper. Then we went to the Luxor museum. Got a tour from Dr. Sullivan’s friend Melinda. She is a professor from Georgia state with a dig here in Egypt…I got her card for Nate and Rachael…She knows pretty much everything about ancient Egypt and it was really cool to have her telling us everything about all the artifacts. I wish we had her for our tour guide the whole time, I probably would have been more interested in everything…our other tour guides had thick accents and it was tough to concentrate on what they were saying when the sights were so awesomely distracting…back to the hotel and get my bags together to head to the train. Arrive at the station, get on the train and head back to Cairo…watch the Italian job, fall asleep before the ending…more for tomorrow when im back to Cairo.
Peace
-Al
No comments:
Post a Comment